FASHION IMAGES - THE BEGINNING
The first photographic work, which can be successfully included in fashion photography dates back to late nineteenth century. The key to fashion photography, however, proved to be the second decade of the twentieth century. Then, printing techniques were greatly improved, so that magazines like "Vogue" and "Vanity Fair", could print photographs on its pages, instead of graphic illustrations.
SUMMARY OF FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY
Main task of fashion photography is (and always has been), mainly extraction of beauty out of female and male models. They in fact, with beauty and style are supposed to attract the attention of observers to the presented clothes, accessories, etc.. In the words of one of the most famous fashion photographers of today, Solve Sundsbo, "you can have a good idea, but what counts the most is that the person you are photographing, lookes stunning. No matter how wonderful a fashion that is shown is - if the model in the pictures looks awful - no one will hire a photographer again. No one is emplyeeing someone who is not able to photograph the model so that she lookes beautiful".
USE OF FASHION PHOTOS
Fashion photos are meant to advertise specific merchandise - clothing, shoes, accessories, jewelry. Fashion photographer must, therefore, work with female and male models, stylists, hairdressers, etc.. in such a way to achieve a perfect finish. Fashion pictures quality should translate into commercial success (of both brand and photographer).
HOW TO MAKE A FASHION PHOTOS
Technical preparation for photography is only half of success in fashion photography. The other half consists of good ideas and photographic intuition.
A few tips for those who are beginning their adventure with photography fashion:
1. Browse photos of famous artists, let them inspire you.
2. Do not give up any idea that will fall into your head. Write down ideas, develop them, and improve. Do not be discouraged by failure.
3. Do not close yourself in the studio. Use much of natural light, take pictures outdoors.
4. Spontaneity is good, but do not leave too much to chance. Prepare for the session. Visit the places where you want to shoot, select the appropriate time of day, lighting, etc.. Place the base case scenario in my head.
5. Use of experts. In many cities, special workshop are organized where you can compare your experience with the experience of professionals.
Ten leading fashion photographers:
- John Akehurst
- Richard Bush
- Elaine Constantine
- Solve Sundsbo
- Steven Meisel
- Mario Testino
- David Sims
- Craig McDean
- Inez van Lamsweerde
- Vinoodh Matadin